PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome
If you answer "yes" to any of the questions below, you will benefit from making an appointment with us.
1. Do you have irregular periods?
2. Do you have ovarian cysts?
3. Do you have excessive facial or body hair?
4. Do you have weight gain around the stomach?
5. Do you have acne?
6. Do you have high cholesterol?
7. Are you experiencing male-pattern baldness?
These are only some of the symptoms you might have if you have PCOS. Doctors often miss the diagnosis of PCOS because the symptoms vary widely.
The underlying problem in PCOS is insulin resistance (where insulin is unable to properly do its job of moving glucose from the blood into the cells). High levels of insulin in turn stimulate the ovaries to produce large amounts of the male hormone testosterone causing infertility, irregular periods, acne and excessive facial or body hair putting patients at higher risk for weight gain, diabetes and heart disease. The goal is to decrease the insulin resistance and correct the hormonal imbalance.